Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Anatomy + Yoga = True Love

Taking Human Anatomy has changed my life. And now I’m going to write about it. Don’t worry, I won’t be writing about my powerful experiences with dead people. Instead, I’m going to discuss a much more important topic: yoga.

You see, I do a lot of yoga. Well, not a ton, maybe 3 or so classes a week. I find that it is a great way for me to exercise and reduce stress. Since I’m sure you’re dying to know, I prefer Vinyasa and Ashtanga yoga (with maybe a little Hatha yoga thrown in for good measure). Anyway, ever since Anatomy has started, my yoga practice has soared to new heights.

It started with a general increased self-awareness. After seeing muscles and bodies in the Anatomy Lab, I began to think more about my own muscles. As in I became aware that they actually existed. This might sound silly, but to me, muscles have been things that get bigger or stronger if I exercise or work on them. I had never really given much thought to them otherwise. Fine. I’ve always known they existed. But now I’m aware of their total existence as a network of muscles, with tendons, nerves, actions, antagonists. My body is a system, with multiple components. As I breathe and move from posture to posture, I am aware of that system, both in isolated segments and as a whole.

Next there came a translation and application phase. Simple phrases such as “rest on your Sit Bones” became instantly translated to technical terms: “Sit Bones, huh? Don’t you mean ischial tuberosities?! As I tried to lift my leg, I thought, “Hmm… I think my iliopsoases are weak.” Just FYI: Iliopsoas – flexion of the hip, femoral nerve (iliacus) and L1, 2, and 3 (psoas major) (I know you were wondering).

In literally every posture, I could go through and name the muscles, nerves, arteries (okay, and veins, even though we all know those aren’t as exciting) involved in my movement. Isn’t this distracting, you ask? Not really. It’s not like I’m quizzing myself as I move through my yoga practice. Instead, I feel that in knowing these new details about my body, I’ve become more connected to it.

Now, instead of almost falling asleep during Final Relaxation, I go to a new place in my own body. As I lay on the floor, eyes closed, deeply breathing, I can feel the air enter my lungs. My heart is beating and I begin to imagine blood flowing through my arteries. I follow this path as I move deeper and deeper into relaxation.

No comments:

Post a Comment