Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Finally in Honduras

By some miracle we made it to Honduras. Finally! Today we flew from San Salvador, El Salvador to Roatan, Honduras and then on to La Ceiba (our final destination). No travel glitches today! Yay! Roatan is an island off the coast of Honduras and the airport was super cute and right on the water. The pic is of K and S as we were about to board our flight to La Ceiba. You can see mainland Honduras in the background.
Umm a note about Honduras: it's hot here. Like unbearably hot. As in I'm lying on my bed writing this with the fan blowing directly on me. It's not just hot; it's humid. I've spent the day dripping with sweat and not to be gross but my bra actually has a sweatline that goes up and across the cups. My cold shower was a nice treat tonight (the shower only has cold water so it's a good thing it's so hot outside!)
Today we walked to the mall (about 5 minutes) and discovered a way to beat the heat: hanging out at air-conditioned Wendy's. As in the fast food chain Wendy's. Everywhere we turn there's an American fast food chain. Sweet! I totally spent 3 days traveling down to Honduras to go to Wendy's! Or Pizza Hut or KFC.
My host family is interesting but I think it'll be fun living here. The family consists of the matriarch, G, who is 44, her daughters R (24) and K (9) and R's daughter V who is almost 2. V is so cute it's almost unbearable. She runs around the house opening doors and saying "hola!" S was also placed with my same family and there's also a young MD from Scotland, A, staying with us. Tonight we had quesodillas made with homemade tortillas for dinner.
Tomorrow we start classes. Have I mentioned that I don't know any Spanish? Yikes

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment