Sunday, June 14, 2009

I'm a cyclist!

Okay. Maybe not... But today was the first cycling day of the trip. We cycled 42k from Nimes to Arles. I was a little worried about the who cycling thing at first but I think I'm getting the hang of it. That being said, we have a long hilly day tomorrow and I'm totally freaking out about it. And I'm pretty sure I'm going to be sore everywhere (especially, you know, down there...haha).



Today we spent the morning in Nimes, which is an Roman town. With a fellow group member, Peter (who is a professor at Catholic U. In DC!), I visited the old Roman Arena (complete with audio guide!) which was pretty cool (The pic is of me in front of the Arena). The only other two people on the trip are a father and son team, Darwin and John. When we got back, Peter went off with Darwin (father) to go on the long route (I passed). Then J and I sat at a cafe for a while waiting for Lyn, our guide, to come in.



The trip was beautiful! We rode through the countryside and there were tons of wildflowers and it smelled so good! At one point, we stopped along the side of the road and snuck a couple of apricots out of an orchard. They were delicious. We also stopped in the Medieval towns of Beaucaire and Tarascon, which are twin towns on either side of the Rhône. We briefly checked out each of the castles before finishing up with the rest of the ride... Which was a little rough for me: it was about an hour with a little bit of a head wind.



Finally we made it back to Arles where we had stayed the night before (we had taken the train to Nimes earlier in the morning). Arles is als an old Roman town and has its own amphitheater. We all ate a delicious meal together... I started with a salad with warm chevre, lamb as my entree and and dessert called nougat glacé which was basically icecream and nuts (yummy). After dinner we had a drink in this super cute square where Van Gogh painted Café de la Nuit.



Now I'm super tired and need to rest up for the big scary hill day tomorrow. Ah!

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment