Thursday, June 11, 2009

Yay! Sun!

Finally, the rain stopped and I was able to get out and see some of Paris. Today I went to the Catacombs, the Rodin Museum, and Notre Dame.

It took me forever to find the Catacombs. As in I literally walked around the same square for an hour getting super frustrated. At one point, I was standing with my back to the entrance wondering how to get it (there were several conflicting signs pointing in different directions). Anyway, once I finally got in I found the Catacombs totally creepy. Basically there are piles and piles of bones that are stacked to make designs along the pathways of an old quarry. The creepiest part is that the bones are real! And human! Oh and also, they check your purse after you leave to make sure you haven't stolen any bones. Really?!

The Rodin Museum was a lot better (and a lot less creepy) than the Catacombs. There is a beautiful garden filled with Rodin's sculptures (like The Thinker... Sadly I couldn't work up the nerve to ask someone take a picture of me sitting at the base of The Thinker doing the pose... Like literally everyone else did). There was also an inside museum part with more of his work. Overall it was pretty cool. Oh and I was the cool kid listening to the hand-held audio guide.

After the museum I walked along the Seine all the way to Notre Dame. Now that the sun is out, Paris is teeming with tourists! Tourists are funny sometimes because they do disgusting things like pay someone to put birdfood on them so that a bunch of pigeons will land on them (barf). Also tourists do things like go into a famous cathedral when a mass is starting and then instead of leaving, taking pictures of "Notre Dame in action." Okay, I may have done that, too... But I was with 100 of my closest tourist friends!

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment