Monday, January 12, 2009

Engaged?!

No, not me. Don't worry, my friends, I am not engaged. I remain to be (bitterly) single, resigning myself to being alone forever. Aloooone. Forever. Actually, I'm kidding. Not about the engaged part (I'm still not engaged), but about the bitterly single part. Yeah, I'm single. But I'm enjoying my life as a twenty-something single girl. In fact, tonight I went on a date. And it was actually pretty fun. And I'm going speed dating on Wednesday - you're jealous, you know it.

But back to the matter at hand. Engagement. I just got back from a trip to Washington DC, which is apparently more than just the capital of our country; it is the capital of serious relationshipville. Literally every 25 year old woman I met while in DC was in a serious relationship and talking with her partner about engagement, or actually engaged. ENGAGED!! WTF?! It must be in the water...

I have never met or been around so many people my age who are engaged (seriously though - my roommate's relationship is going on 5 years with no ring. That's how un-engaged we are out here in LA). I turned 26 a month ago and I have really struggled to embrace the responsibilities of old age. It is truly difficult for me to fathom being engaged or married or (heaven forbid) pregnant. I sincerely feel as though I am too young and completely unprepared to do any of these adult things. However, in reality (and this is the part I'm really struggling with), 26 is a perfectly normal age to do any of these things. Like completely normal. It is entirely socially acceptable for a 26 year old to get married. People will never think, "what a shame, she was so young" at 26.

In fact, I feel as though I missed the memo on becoming engaged. The memo said, "Now that you are 26, you should start acting like an adult. First task, find a man and get engaged. Next, big wedding. Finally, have some kids. And now your fun single life is over and your stressful adult family life has begun. Enjoy!" This memo was first distributed in Washington DC and is slowly making its way across the country. As a mature, 26 year old woman, my response to this message is, "Suck it!"
Good thing I don't live in DC... I've got me some speed dating to attend.

No comments:

Post a Comment