Friday, January 2, 2009

Paper Chaser?

I'm just wondering, when did the term "paper chaser" become common knowledge? Because for me, it was only a short while ago. In fact, I wasn't really aware of the term until I was listening to TI and Rihanna's new hit song "Live Your Life." I thought: hmm, paper chaser, yeah I get it. What a great new phrase!

Urban Dictionary definition:
Paper Chaser:
Someone that's about their money. Someone thats trying to get paid by all means neccesary no matter what it is. Whether its a regular 9-5 job or being a drug dealer or a prostitute. Someone who will never stop trying to get paid.
Example: "That broad is a golddigger." "Nah dude she a straight paper chaser."

Since then I've seen "paper chaser" everywhere. Like everywhere. I was looking to buy TI's new album for a Christmas gift for my brother and I came across maybe five different albums with songs that included "paper chaser" in the title. And I was in target. Not online searching for "paper chaser." And then this morning, I was driving to work when Ice Cube's "You Can Do It Put Your Back Into It" came on. I was kind of excited since I always associate the song with "Save the Last Dance" (which came out years ago in high school). Then, out of nowhere, BAM! Paper Chaser in the song! Really?

Seeing some recent rap albums with paper chaser songs on them in Target didn't make me feel out of touch. In fact, I felt a little more hip (a clear sign that I'm old and out of touch) by noticing all of the references to paper chasing. But I was a little shocked by the older reference. This means that I have missed out on saying "paper chaser" for years (and I'm obviously going to try to make references to paper chasers as often as possible now). Am I so out of touch? Is this like missing out on "OMG" for like ten years before it became popular? I'm really disappointed in myself.

On a completely different note, happy new year! And thank you to all of my Bowdoin friends who made it all the way to LA to attend my super sweet new year's eve party (since I know you've all made Look at Me! Look at Me! your homepage).

No comments:

Post a Comment